Sausage Breakfast TortaPrep: 30 minutes | Serves 2
- 2 Telera Rolls
- 1 cup refried beans
- 2 oz shredded vegan cheese
- 1 Package Alpha Foods Sausage Crumbles
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp diced chipotle in adobo
- 2 Tbsp diced roasted hatch chilis (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp masa harina
- 7 oz pressed tofu (crumbled)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1 avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- Garlic salt to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)
- Combine ingredients for Guacamole and refrigerate.
- Split your telera rolls and grill with some vegan butter or mayo until toasted and set aside.
- Add your sausage crumbles to a pan over medium heat in a bit of oil. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add all the dry spices and stir to combine.
- Add in the chipotle in adobo, hatch chilies (if using), veggie broth, tomato paste and masa harina. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer then lower heat and simmer to reduce liquid to desired consistency.
- While your sausage mixture reduces, In another pan, add all the ingredients for the tofu scramble except the milk and black salt. Cook over medium heat for a minute or so. Then add in the milk and stir to combine. Reduce this to desired consistency, then lower heat.
- Once the sausage mixture and tofu scramble are at desired consistency, set to the lowest setting to keep warm and heat up your refried beans either in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Once beans are cooked, sprinkle the black salt on the tofu scramble and mix. Then assemble Torta as follows from bottom to top: beans, sausage crumbles, tofu scramble, shredded vegan cheese, and then spread the guacamole on the top bun.