Mediterranean Sausage Stuffed PeppersPrep: 30 minutes | Serves 4-6
- 4-6 green bell peppers
- 1 package Alpha Foods Meatless Sausage Crumbles
- 2 cups cooked Israeli Couscous
- 6 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp each dried thyme, oregano, parsley, ground coriander, ground sage, salt, and black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup plant-based mozzarella cheese (or feta)
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Plant-Based Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 cups plant-based plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt, black pepper & crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ cucumber, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Slice your peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the core and seeds, leaving the stems intact.
- Take a baking dish (or 2 depending how many fit) and use 2 tbsp to oil the bottom of the pan. Add in your peppers in a single layer, drizzle with a little more oil and season with salt. Place the peppers in the oven for about 20 minutes until they are soft and slightly browned on the edges.
- While your peppers are in the oven, cook your Israeli couscous according to package instructions, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add your remaining olive oil along with your red onion and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, then add in your Alpha Foods Sausage Crumble, dried spices, salt and pepper. Mix and cook until the sausage is browned. Then add in your red wine vinegar and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Mix your couscous in with your sausage mixture.
- Once your peppers are ready, stuff them generously with your sausage and couscous mixture. Top your stuffed peppers with a bit of cheese, then place under the broiler until the cheese is melted, browned and the sides of the peppers are browned, about 3 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking mix your Tzatziki ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley and drizzle with Tzatziki Sauce. Enjoy!